SVAM: Policy for Patient Models for Education & Teaching Purposes
THIS POLICY WAS LAST REVIEWED/UPDATED ON 28/03/2022
Section 1 – Background
SkinViva Academy is a training and education provider for medical professionals in the non- surgical medical aesthetics sector. As part of delivering training courses, we use patient models for:
- Our Trainers to demonstrate procedures upon by carrying out treatments for Trainees to learn from
- Our Trainees to build competence and knowledge by carrying out procedures under the direct supervision of our Trainers
- Our Clinical Team to develop proficiency of skills via internal company training sessions
- Clinical photography (e.g., before/after images, teaching images) for the purposes of marketing and education purposes
Section 2 – Initial Patient Model Selection (Pre-Booking)
- Upon initial registration as a patient model, the SkinViva Academy Models Coordinator will explain the customer journey for a patient model, take information from the model to store in our database, and ask questions to identify the suitability of the model for treatment.
- All patient models who elect to have treatment with SkinViva Academy Models are required to undergo a medical consultation prior to treatment. However, initial suitability assessments are carried out on the phone by the Contact Centre. This includes:
- Basic contraindications such as pregnancy, breastfeeding etc
- Basic medical history
- Taking a treatment history for previous cosmetic procedures
- Any previous adverse reactions and complications
- Understanding of patient expectations
- All models are required to submit a selection of recent photos to our team for assessment (defined as less than 2 weeks old and not had any further aesthetic / medical / surgical treatments since the photos which may alter the patient’s appearance, which may impact our assessment).
- SkinViva Academy Models reserve the right to decline or cancel any appointments which are booked whereby:
- a patient model is not willing to submit photographs; or
- where the photographs are of insufficient quality to make an informed decision about suitability for treatment; or
- whereby the photographs indicate a contraindication or other reason to indicate that treatment is not appropriate
- Where we invoke the right to decline or cancel an appointment (e.g. due to course cancellation), we will refund any appointment payment we have taken.
- If our Contact Centre are in any doubt of the suitability for a procedure, they will make on onward referral to a Trainer prior to booking or permitting an existing booking to go ahead.
- Our Contact Centre reserve the right to decline/cancel any appointments where submitted photographs indicate any reason why the patient model maybe be unsuitable for treatment and, for any onward referrals, the decision of the Trainer is final.
Section 3 – Model Suitability
- If a model is deemed suitable for treatment at the initial selection stage, the Trainer retains ultimate accountability for deciding if a model is suitable for the procedure at the appointment. This may lead to the Trainer declining to carry out some or all of the patient model’s treatment.
- Trainers provide feedback to the wider team on a model’s suitability so that patient models’ records can be updated, and any process improvements made.
- Information is stored and retained in line with the General Data Protection Regulations (2018)
Section 4 – Consultations
- All patient models who elect to have treatment with SkinViva Academy Models are required to undergo a medical consultation prior to treatment.
- Consultations by trained medical professionals take place either:
- At the patient model appointment where treatment follows the consultation if the patient and practitioner agree to go ahead
- Before the patient model appointment (e.g. for complex treatments or whereby the team feels there is benefit of doing so)
- For consultations taking place on the day of treatment on a SkinViva Academy Models course:
- Patient models are charged a non-refundable payment at the point of booking their model appointment. This acts to secure the appointment and pays for the consultation by the Trainer and Trainees.
- All models are entitled to a cooling-off period however the payment for the model appointment is non-refundable as this represents the cost of the consultation if treatment does not go-ahead.
- At the discretion of our team, we may choose to transfer the patient model’s payment.
- For consultations taking place on a day before the treatment is due to be completed on a SkinViva Academy Models course:
- Patient model consultations will be charged at £75 which is payable at the point of booking the consultation and which also acts as an appointment payment and is not refundable.
- If the patient model cancels this appointment more than 5 days before the appointment, then a refund will be made otherwise no refund is payable.
- As a matter of course, SkinViva Academy Models do not default to offering consultations prior to model appointments for non-complex procedures e.g., upper face wrinkle-relaxing botulinum toxin treatments, however a consultation will always be held on the day of planned treatment.
Section 5 – Follow-Up Appointments
- All patient models are entitled to a follow-up if one is required, although this will not necessarily involve additional treatment.
- By default, follow-ups are booked onto training days to provides opportunity for trainees to learn from complications, adverse reactions and patient expectations. (Not in the SkinViva Clinic)
- Should a patient model require a follow-up appointment in the SkinViva clinic (not on a training day) then there is a £75 charge for the appointment, unless the follow-up is required due to a clinical error, adverse reaction, or complication from the original treatment. The fee is payable upfront to secure the appointment.
- If the patient model no longer requires the appointment, then he/she should contact SkinViva Academy Models at least 5 days before the appointment time.
Section 6 – Cancellations
- Cancellations taking place 5 days or less before the appointment date or DNA (did not arrive) will result in the forfeit of any payment made for that appointment slot. If a model DNA’s, they will forfeit the monies paid and risk the possible removal from our model’s database for future treatment opportunities.
- Our policy is to book follow-ups into a designated slot on a future training course. (Not in SV Clinic)
- The fee structure for model follow-up appointments is based on what has caused the follow-up:
- If patient expectations were unrealistic or have not been met but no clinical error has been made then the cost of treatment for an appointment being carried out in the SKINVIVA CLINIC will be charged at standard SkinViva clinic prices OR the patient model has a choice of being re-booked onto a future training course at patient model prices (subject to availability).
- If patient expectations were unrealistic or have not been met but no clinical error has been made, then the cost of treatment for an appointment being carried out on a TRAINING DAY will be charged at patient model prices (subject to availability).
- If patient expectations were realistic but a clinical error has been made, then there will be no charge for remedial treatment in the SkinViva clinic or in the Academy Models school.
- Unless our clinical judgement dictates otherwise, all follow-ups must be carried within 1 month of the original treatment.
- Our team has the final decision in respect of the fee structure for follow-up treatment and recommendation of treatment plan.
Section 7 – Multiple bookings by same model for same training day
- For patient models electing to have more than one area of the face treated on the same day, SkinViva Academy Models can book more than one treatment appointment on the same day for that model, providing there are no contraindications to doing so.
- Our team will create an appointment for each procedure that has a defined patient outcome.
- Example 1: three areas of upper face botulinum toxin cover several muscle groups/ areas of the face but they are linked to a defined patient outcome of relaxing wrinkles in the upper face. Therefore, its treated as one procedure and does not require more than one appointment
- Example 2: dermal filler upper lip line treatment requires a separate appointment to dermal filler treatment to the tear troughs as they have different and discrete patient outcomes
- A full treatment payment is required for EACH appointment made.
- Each model is limited to one botulinum toxin and two discrete dermal filler appointments on the same day as a selection of patient models are required on all training course days.
Section 8 – Appointment Payments
- Patient models wishing to book an appointment for treatment at SkinViva Academy Models are required to pay for their treatment IN FULL, (non-transferable appointments) for the cost of the consultation.
- Failure to attend the appointment will result in automatic forfeiture of the appointment payment.
- The tariff for appointment payments is in line with the cost of each appointment type advertised at the point of booking:
- Model treatment appointments on a SkinViva Academy Models course – Payment in full (forfeit, non-refundable, non-transferable for non-attendance or cancellation 5 days or less from appointment date)
- Complex model treatment appointments on a SkinViva Academy Models course – Payment in full for each appointment booked (forfeit, non- refundable, non-transferable for non-attendance)
- Consultation appointment in the SkinViva clinic – £75 (which is also the cost of the consultation and so the payment is paid upfront to pay for the consultation)
- Follow-up appointment in the SkinViva clinic – £50 (which is also the cost of the follow-up and so the payment is paid upfront to pay for the follow-up) – except in circumstances for our clinical error.
- In the event of a death in the patient model’s immediate family, the model should contact us within 7 days of the circumstances to notify us and we will re-book your appointment without forfeiture of the appointment payment upon the supply of a death certificate.
- Unfortunately, no other exceptions can be made other than at the discretion of the management team.
- If a patient model expects to be late to his/her appointment, then they should contact the SkinViva Academy Models team by phone. A tolerance of 15 minutes is permitted however after that our team reserve the right to cancel the appointment with the forfeiture of the payment paid.
Section 9 – Undergoing Treatment
- Patient models are explained at the point of initial contact (by telephone) that they are attending their appointment for training and education reasons to the benefit of qualified medical professionals who wish to learn skills in aesthetics.
- As such, each patient model must be prepared to undergo treatment by trainees who are attending a SkinViva Academy Models course.
- Patient models are not permitted to request that the Trainer carries out their treatment. It is at the discretion of the Trainer who carries out the treatment of the model. It is always respected if the patient model chooses at any point not to undergo or continue with their treatment.
- Patient models are permitted to request to attend the training course of a specific trainer however this cannot be guaranteed. In the event that the Trainer is replaced on the day of the appointment with another Trainer, this does not constitute grounds for a refund of a) the appointment payment; or b) the treatment fee, if undertaken
- SkinViva Academy Models reserve the right to decline treatment on the day due to patient model contraindications (including illness). In this instance, the appointment payment will be transferred to a different date but not refunded.
- Patient models are requested not to bring children or more than one friend or family member to the clinic.
Section 10 – Complex treatments
- Complex treatments include treatments:
- To multiple areas of the face.
- In a high-risk area of the face.
- Patient models electing for any complex treatments must be approved for treatment prior to any appointment by a member of the SkinViva clinical team.
- Patient models must have had a consultation to assess risk and suitability for the procedure. This must be done at least one day ahead of the proposed treatment appointment.
- Patient models are subject to the payment terms detailed in the Consultation section of this policy document for their consultation appointment.
- An estimate of treatment cost for complex treatments will be provided at the consultation.
Section 11 – Treatment limitations/flexibility in model appointments
- Trainers are required to use their clinical judgement for the amount of product to use on a patient model however the following considerations should always be taken in account:
- Managing patient model expectations and ensuring informed consent for the treatment plan
- Ensuring the patient model can make the financial commitment to pay for treatment on the day of treatment
- The length of appointment assigned to that model and the structure of the overall training day
- Ensuring that treatment is in the best interests of the patient model
- The scope of the treatment to all patient models will be restricted by the trainer to the procedures being taught on that particular training course.
- Patient models should always be free from any pressure/influence/coercion to have treatment
- Discounted or free of charge treatments are not best practice and our management team should also be consulted before discounts are given in appointments to patient models. Considerations include:
- Indirectly pressuring the patient model to have more treatment than they may have otherwise elected for if a discount were not applied
- The sustainability longer term for the patient model of that treatment based on affordability
- Stock control and associated financial impacts
Section 12 – Model referrals
- Models can be referred to the Academy Models school by friends/other patients, SkinViva Training trainers, SkinViva clinic clinicians, and the SkinViva Ltd team.
- For referrals by friends/other patients:
- A £25 referral credit is given as a gesture of goodwill to the referrer. The credit is added once for that referred customer.
- The SkinViva Academy Models team will add the credit to the system once the first treatment of the referee has been completed.
- We record the name of the referrer and referee for tracking purposes.
- For referrals by SkinViva Training trainers:
- Each model is required to complete a patient model form before undergoing their treatment as a patient model.
- The model form allows Trainers to refer models for future indicated procedures if the model has expressed an interest.
- Model forms are input to the SkinViva Academy Models database for secure storage.
- For referrals by SkinViva clinic clinicians and by the SkinViva Ltd team:
- SkinViva clients who wish to become patient models are permitted to do so under the rules documented in this policy.
- SkinViva clinicians are able to refer SkinViva patients to the Academy Models school if the patient is interested in patient model opportunities.
Section 13 – Channels we communicate with models
- SkinViva Academy Models communicate with prospective and existing patient models across a variety of platforms, which include:
- Facebook – Models communicate via the Messenger app or through posts/comments
- Mailchimp – we send email marketing to patient models who have opted-in to our mailing list
- Website – Models complete website forms or may leave comments on articles
- Direct email – we communicate with models through direct email including individual specific email addresses and a shared mailbox
- Esendex – we exchange SMS text communications through Esendex
- Clinic Office – we exchange SMS text communications through Clinic Office
- All communications are carried out in line with GDPR (2018)
Section 14 – Course structure and appointment times
- Each SkinViva Training course has a set structure with fixed appointment times.
- Models are requested to arrive 30 minutes before their designated appointment time in order to prepare for their appointment.
- Trainers operate each training course according to a pre-defined timetable and course structure.
- Trainers inform the Contact Centre of any significant overrun or underrun so that our team can manage the expectations of later-booked patient models.
- Our team reserve the right to restrict/limit patient model appointments due to excessive or unreasonable short notice cancellations or DNAs or due to any unrealistic patient expectations which make that patient unsuitable for a training environment.
Section 15 – Adverse reactions and complications
- Adverse reactions and complications are a risk of any medical procedure.
- All Trainers and Trainees of SkinViva Academy are medical professionals belong to a Professional Statutory & Regulatory Body.
- Patient models will be informed of potential side effects, complications and adverse reactions to treatment on the day.
- In the event of an adverse reaction and complication after the treatment, the patient model should contact the SkinViva Academy Models contact number.
- Outside of opening hours, a voice recording informs them of a number to ring in the event of a potential emergency.
- Our Contact Centre will obtain initial information and, for common side effects, will provide aftercare advice.
- For serious reactions and complications, the Contact Centre will immediately alert and ensure the ownership of a SkinViva clinician.
- All trainers are trained in the use of hyaluronidase and other emergency protocols relevant to our treatments.
Section 16 – Use of team members as patient models
- All team members who wish to have treatment as a patient model are required to have a 6- monthly consultations with a SkinViva clinician.
- Team members who have not had a consultation with a SkinViva clinician in the last 6 months will be permitted to undergo treatment as a patient model.
- Team members who wish to have patient model treatments will have a patient record maintained on our database indicating which treatments a clinician has indicated they are suitable for.
- Team members are entitled to treatment as patient models at standard model rates.
- Team members who receive treatment in the event of short-notice cancellations or DNAs are entitled to free of charge treatment, but a consultation must have taken place for the relevant procedure within the last 6 months ahead of the day of treatment.
Section 17 – Discounting patient model treatments
In line with GMC guidelines, SkinViva Academy Models does not unethically and inappropriately promote treatments for patient models.
- Time-limited discounts where a patient model must elect to have a procedure by a deadline for the benefit of a promotion are not permitted.
- It is acceptable to time-limit a consultation but a cooling-off period prior to treatment must always be offered.
- Free of charge appointments are not best practice due to providing an incentive for treatment for a patient which they may not ordinarily elected to have had. Where a treatment is being given free of charge, a consultation must always take place and a cooling off period offered.
- All discounts must be recorded in our database for reporting and compliance reasons.
- All discounts are subject to the approval of the line manager who has overall accountability for ensuring the accurate recording of discounting information.
Section 18 – Paying for treatment
- Patient models can choose to pay for their treatment by cash or credit/debit card.
- Direct debit, cheque and bank transfers are not permitted.
- Existing direct debit customers for SkinViva clinic are not permitted to include model treatments in their direct debit plan.
- Appointment payments are paid in advance of the treatment / consultation appointment (see earlier sections)
- Payment for treatment must be paid in full on the day of the procedure.